Requesting Shipment: Introduction¶
The different methods of requesting shipment each have their own subsection; the information in this current section applies to all methods.
Methods of Requesting Shipment¶
If the address validation service catches a discrepancy between an address in a shipping request and post office standards, it will propose a change. Such requests are shown as “Incomplete” in the Status column of the Console, and they must be reviewed and the proposed change accepted or rejected before the request can be processed. For instructions, see Reviewing Incompletes.
Post Office Boxes¶
Although the system can deliver to Post Office (PO) Boxes within the United States, delivery to PO Boxes (or the equivalent) elsewhere in the world is unlikely to succeed.
Inventory: Channel Partners¶
When requesting shipment, distinguish between inventory purchased directly from Yubico and inventory purchased from Yubico’s channel partners, because inventory is sorted according to the source from which it was purchased. The Dashboard shows your total inventory of any given product, combining quantities purchased from all sources: both directly from Yubico and indirectly through channel partners (if applicable). To find out what is in which inventory, check your POs.
The source of a purchase order (PO) is always referred to as a channel partner, even if it was a direct purchase, in which case the Channel partner ID (or
channelpartner_id) will be
To find out what the channel partner ID is:
|The name and ID of the channel partner are shown on the purchase order detail page, accessible by clicking the ID of the PO on the Purchase orders page.|
|DURING creation of shipment request:|
|When selecting the Channel partner name on the Single shipment tab (accessed by clicking Create shipment request), the Channel partner ID populates automatically.|
|AFTER shipment:||The Channel partner ID is shown on the shipment request detail page, accessible by clicking the ID of the shipment request on the Shipments tab.|
Limits and Constraints¶
Long recipient names can be problematic for all methods of requesting shipment, because the shipment request will fail if the contents of the name and/or recipient fields exceed the maximum number of characters. On the Console, in the API and in the CSV file:
recipient_lastname map to the first line on the shipping label, while the
recipient field maps to the Company field on the console, and both of these map to the second line on the shipping label. Workaround: When a recipient’s full name or company name exceeds the fields’ maximum lengths, split the names across the three fields, for example:
|First Name||15||Last Name||20||Company||20|
|Johannes-Maximilian||von Derschowitz-Dampfloch zu Querdenker|
- Each individual shipping request is limited to 500 items - or a single item, depending on the destination. See Key Quantities. With the 500-key limit, you can order 500 keys of a single type, or 250 lanyards plus 250 keys of different types, or any combination that adds up to 500 items.
- Bulk Shipment:
- Each CSV file is limited to 1000 shipment requests
- Each CSV file is limited to 10 MB
- Address validation takes place every 15 minutes. This means that you might have to wait up to 15 minutes to find out if your shipment request has been queued for fulfillment (see Shipping Status Codes).
- Non-subscription purchases: Shipment requests can be made for up to one year after a PO is submitted.
- Subscription purchases: Time limits for shipment requests depend on the stock/inventory from which the products are drawn.
The full list of options potentially available is given below. The actual list depends on what you have purchased. Explanations for the terms in the list are given in the table below the list. For more details on subscription and non-subscription purchasing, see Modes of Purchase.
Full List of Inventory Types
- Primary Subscr - Base Tier: Initial
- Primary Subscr - Base Tier: Buffer
- Primary Subscr - Base Tier: Replacement
- Primary Subscr - Adv. Tier: Initial
- Primary Subscr - Adv. Tier: Buffer
- Primary Subscr - Adv. Tier: Replacement
- Primary Subscr - Prem. Tier: Initial
- Primary Subscr - Prem. Tier: Buffer
- Primary Subscr - Prem. Tier: Replacement
- Primary Subscr - FIPS Tier: Initial
- Primary Subscr - FIPS Tier: Buffer
- Primary Subscr - FIPS Tier: Replacement
- Backup Subscr - Base Tier: Initial
- Backup Subscr - Base Tier: Buffer
- Backup Subscr - Base Tier: Replacement
- Backup Subscr - Adv. Tier: Initial
- Backup Subscr - Adv. Tier: Buffer
- Backup Subscr - Adv. Tier: Replacement
- Backup Subscr - Prem. Tier: Initial
- Backup Subscr - Prem. Tier: Buffer
- Backup Subscr - Prem. Tier: Replacement
- Backup Subscr - FIPS Tier: Initial
- Backup Subscr - FIPS Tier: Buffer
- Backup Subscr - FIPS Tier: Replacement
- Non-subscription - Base Tier
- Non-subscription - Advanced Tier
- Non-subscription - Premium Tier
- Non-subscription - FIPS Tier
- Standard Products
Standard products are
physical keys purchased
outright (on your PO
you will not find
but instead the actual
There is a primary
subscription and a backup
subscription for each
tier (product grouping):
Base, Advanced, Premium,
and FIPS. Each of those
tiers has Initial,
Buffer, and Replacement
in the table below,
tiers are for virtual
tiers have no
The stock in this category reflects the
total number of users on the subscription. This
lot can be drawn upon for 12 months from the
start of your subscription term.
This category is made available to you free of
charge when your subscription begins. You can
draw on it throughout the term of your
This category is intended for those who have
lost their YubiKeys or want to upgrade. The
stock in this category is reset each year of
the subscription to the Replacement limit.
Shipment requests can be edited or deleted until 3am PST (11am GMT), the day after they were entered.
|Normal (standard) shipping:|
|Shipments typically will take 5-7 days for transit in North America and Europe. Other parts of the world will incur longer transit times.|
|Expedited (rush) shipping:|
|Shipments typically will take 1 business day for transit in North America and Europe. Other parts of the world will incur longer transit times.|
The address validation service flags addresses that are problematic or defective in some way, and displays this information on the Console in the Status column on the Dashboard tab. For a complete list of the different statuses and what they indicate, see Shipping Status Codes. To ensure your shipping request is accepted and processed, always verify that it has not been flagged Incomplete.
On the Shipments tab, in the Actions menu next to the Create shipping request button, select Review incompletes. The list of shipping requests with incomplete addresses is displayed:
Review incomplete addresses
To find out what is wrong with an address and/or correct it, click the Edit icon at the end of the row containing the item. See Editing or Deleting a Shipment. The Edit shipment screen indicates the problem, as shown in the screenshot below, for example.
Error in name of recipient
The address validation process stops at the first error it finds in a given request (or in the case of a CSV file, in a given row). In the screenshot above, it stopped at the name of the recipient, but the address in the example above would not be validated either. For this reason, continue to run the Review Incompletes activity until no more errors are found in your shipment request.
Editing or Deleting a Shipment¶
You can update an address or delete a shipping request until it is locked for processing and fulfillment - see Timing.
To delete shipment requests made via CSV file, see Deleting Multiple Shipments.
To edit a shipment, click the Edit icon in the appropriate row of the table. The Edit shipment - <ID> screen appears, as shown below.
Edit shipment screen
Either make the required changes and click Update or click Delete shipment. The update function validates the fields, with a mouseover warning on any fields requiring input, as shown in the screenshot below:
Verify that the system is able to validate all the input in your shipment request by running the Review Incompletes activity (see Reviewing Incompletes).
When shipments fail to arrive at their destination, the price of product(s) plus shipping is refunded. The status of such a shipment is recorded as “Lost/Missing”.
Org Owners, Admins, and Auditors can access refund details from the Shipments tab. On the upper right, click the Action dropdown menu and select Processed Refunds.”
The list of processed refunds appears. To see further details, click the Shipment ID of the desired item.
Downloading List of Refunds¶
To download a CSV file listing all the data shown on the list of processed refunds, click the Download refund CSV button.